Belay Loop Testing

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
dmw

Post by dmw »

you can have my BOD harness, Piggie. It is in the mail for you.... :)
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

it better be an XXL dmw...

btw, I miss you. hope your summer is blissful.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

pigsteak, I thought you started wearing my old harness? BTW, I just retired the one you and Karen "fixed" because I wore out the tie points, but I might duct tape it now.
Legion

Post by Legion »

A friend and I just pull tested the belay loops on our old harnesses. My Arc'teryx broke at 2900lbs and his Rock Exotica broke at 4900lbs. Both were heavily used with visible wear.
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

That's it. I am constructing an entire harness out of duct tape!
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
KD

Post by KD »

kirker wrote:The whole thought of belaying from anything, but the "belay loop" seems a little over kill.

I'm sure that what ever force is going to break my belay loop will jerk my 190lb ass up before the loop breaks lessing the fall facture.

With that seid and the results from the tests ran by Wildcountry, and those fall facture tests ran by Weber should put anyone's worry to rest.
you got a 190 lb ass? lets go campin.
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

i'd like to know if the did the pull tests with the cuts on the pull bars. it shouldn't make a huge difference but i'd like to see it. if your biner is on that slash then how much will it hold?
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life
kirker

Post by kirker »

KD wrote:
kirker wrote:The whole thought of belaying from anything, but the "belay loop" seems a little over kill.

I'm sure that what ever force is going to break my belay loop will jerk my 190lb ass up before the loop breaks lessing the fall facture.

With that seid and the results from the tests ran by Wildcountry, and those fall facture tests ran by Weber should put anyone's worry to rest.
you got a 190 lb ass? lets go campin.
:o
tomdarch

Post by tomdarch »

anticlmber wrote:i'd like to know if the did the pull tests with the cuts on the pull bars. it shouldn't make a huge difference but i'd like to see it. if your biner is on that slash then how much will it hold?
Good idea! Also - it would be good if the 'pull bar' was shaped like the narrow end of the 'biner. The edges of the webbing will be pulled harder than the middle because of the curve, so the loop might fail sooner. I'd guess that it would still be over 2,000 lbs, but it would be good to know. (and, of course the test would need to be run on enough samples to give a good statistical range, etc.)
Bacon is meat candy.
Like This

Post by Like This »

Windex and duct tape fixes all. :shock:
"When you feel something, don't just yell 'STRIKE!' and then pull out. Leave your probe where it is." -JH

I love you too, Ray!!