Was Osama right?

Movies, music, food, blood, dogs, Horatio.....
Alex3000

Post by Alex3000 »

Iraq was an offensive move to put democracy upon the middle east (and don't get me wrong, I think democracy is the best system around), and as opposed to preventing nuclear weapons, securing oil deposits and cutting off funds to terrorism, well we've gone and created deeper and wider ranging hate. Out of this hate grow more young men willing to explode themselves, more old men willing to give their money to organizations recruiting those young men, and more instability in a region we were trying to stabilize. Piss poor navigation of world politics in my book, and if the administration had paid any attention to history (good quote: history is to the nation what memory is to the individual ~ can't remember who said it) they might have foreseen this and or gone about it in a different way.

As far as "credible" information that a nuclear weapon has been sneaked into the US, detection systems at strategic locations around the US (that didn't already exist), and a "40%" chance of a bomb going off in the next ten years, well, those things sound sketchy to me, at best. These are scary times, to be sure, but what good does being scared do? Not to force a metaphor, but when you're scared on a rock climb, it does way more good to try to take some deep breaths, relax, focus and keep climbing, than it does to freak out and and climb like an idiot.

To be fair, I'm not with my flaming liberal cohort in being certain that leaving Iraq now is the best way to go. It seems silly to have invested all these resources in something only to bail, but then again you need to know when to cut your losses and stop creating hate.

Why can't we all just get along?
I don't know much, but I know that.
dmw

Post by dmw »

Alex, it must be a REAL slow day at the office. ;)
krampus

Post by krampus »

TradMike wrote: Give them some democracy, money and entertainment and the problem goes away.
I would like to believe that, but with education there will only be educated people that hate us. Don't forget that they live in a desert, that does not have many rescources. What can we give them that is fun to do. Make them smart and they will come up with smarter ways of hurting us. There are plenty of educated people who enjoy violence, look at the current administration.
How you compare may not be as important as to whom you are compared
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

vegas is in the desert...duh. give em booze, strippers, and gambling. problem solved.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

Who says the current administration is educated.
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

yawn..pulling out the party line there, rhunt? Bush and Cheney...college degrees, Rice, PHD (maybe stands for "piled high and deep")
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

pigsteak wrote:vegas is in the desert...duh. give em booze, strippers, and gambling. problem solved.
yeah for real. they just need to be more like americans.
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist
Yasmeen

Post by Yasmeen »

krampus wrote:Don't forget that they live in a desert, that does not have many rescources. What can we give them that is fun to do.
Absolutely. I mean, those desert people really have nothing to do out there in the desert... we should probably send them some ideas on what to do with their money...
http://www.wildwadi.com/
http://www.burj-al-arab.com/
"I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory." --Paul
---
(Emails > PMs)
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

we don't mean all desert dwellers yasmeen..just the really dark skinned ones.
Alex3000

Post by Alex3000 »

dmw, it is, brother, it is. Plus, I kinda just discovered how fun it is to sit at work and get people worked up. Also, these are things that I can sink my teeth into and really waste some time.

Vegas is awful, weird, devoid of irony, completely unsustainable due to its location and would shrivel up and die if it weren't for those green streams of money flowing through it. But there are some pretty nice rocks just outside of it.
I don't know much, but I know that.