do tell

Having problems finding a crag or a route?
Crankmas

do tell

Post by Crankmas »

anyone been to Seattle? I'm heading there this summer and need some touronish beta- Thanks for any insight you may have to share
bengoodwin

Post by bengoodwin »

Hey Crankmas

I actually just moved here from Portland, so I've spent a fair amount of time in Seattle. Here are the places I would check out:

Queen Anne Hill (cool neighborhood w/ resteraunts, bars, coffee shops, etc.)

Pike Street Market (must go)

Space Needle (extreme touron alert, but worth it if the view is clear)

Any number of the excellent small coffee houses

If you really want to see the NW:

Leavenworth: The town is an evil tourist trap (so much so it's actually funny) but the climbing is INCREDIBLE! Check out the Snow Creek Wall and The Enchantments

much much more...

If you have time to go climbing pm me and I'll give you much more info...

Enjoy
KD

seattle

Post by KD »

been there - the rei is awsome and you probably would like to rent a car and go south and see mt st helens too. Raineer is close you could see both in the same trip actually. Id go to smith rock even though its about 4 hrs away. climbing in wash is good but it rains a lot. i got a buddy who'd probably partner up with you - you can pm me if you want. have fun!
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

you know it was coming, any bouldering in or near the city?
redpointron

Re: do tell

Post by redpointron »

Crankmas wrote:anyone been to Seattle? I'm heading there this summer and need some touronish beta- Thanks for any insight you may have to share
you must go over to the penisula. the olympics are awesome...and it feels pretty remote. the hoh rain forest is cool. and while you are out there...take the ferry from port angeles to victoria for a day.

regards.

r.r.
heidiramma

Post by heidiramma »

If you're interested, there's also a tour of the Seattle underground before they realized they needed to build up higher and solve there, eh, sewage issues.
The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own.
You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president.
You realize that you control your own destiny.

Albert Ellis
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

if I understand correctly if you are going by car/ferry into ( not air) Canada you won't need a passport till next year - thought we would check out Vancouver its close by Right?
captain static

Post by captain static »

Having several college friends who live in the Pacific Northwest (Portland, Evergreen, Seattle) my wife & I have taken seven major trips out and I've been out several other times. So much to do & still much we have not done. Have been climbing at Leavenworth & Index. Would recommend Mazama Rocks in the North Cascades, Skaha Bluffs in Penticton, BC, and also of course Squamish. Winthrop is a cool little tourist town near Mazama. The San Juan Islands, the Olympic Peninsula, and Vancouver Island, BC are tops on our tourist outings. There is a cool top roping area on one of the San Juans called Mt. Erie. After climbing Mt. Baker we stayed at a bed & breakfast in Anacortes. Places / things we checked out on one of our Olympic Peninsula swings included Dungeness Crab at a restaurant in Port Angeles, Sol Doc Hot Springs, Hurricane Ridge, Neah Bay/Makah Indian Reservation, & Shi-Shi Beach. Just a smattering of some of the places I've been if it helps.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
ynot

Post by ynot »

the sapce needle is pretty sweet. stop in a fish market and ask what a goeyduck looks like.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

For climbing, in addition to what has been mentioned, check out the little town of Index. About an hour from Seattle. Upper town wall and lower town wall. Really good granite trad climbing and a bit of sport climbing.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie