Cargo Boxes For an Outback

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
pawilkes

Cargo Boxes For an Outback

Post by pawilkes »

So I'm thinking of getting a Cargo box for my outback so that i can fit 4 people in my car for a spring break trip out west. I'm just wondering what people have to say about what a good size is and any tid-bits of advice people may have on the subject. I am probably going to get a Yakima box b/c I should be able to get a deal on one.
Sand inhibits the production of toughtosterone, so get it out and send.
dmw

Post by dmw »

do you have yak racks on your car already? bc i think you need those first. they are pricey.
Matt~

Post by Matt~ »

You should check out Thule. Their boxes fit on the standard racks of most cars so you don't have to buy seperate racks. I have a Bright Yellow 16 cu Ft Thule for my Jeep and I love it. I have never had any water leak in or anything of the sort.
Gaar

Post by Gaar »

Phil....I've got the load warrior on my my forester....its not a box, but IMHO its a little easier to use....The only draw back is you have to load it in either dry bags, or Water tight contaiers. I used to have the rocket box by YAK, but the hinges broke after 4 months and it REALLY killed gas MPG. the baskets are a little better for that...your choice
"climb, fall, send, go home"
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

i already have Yakima racks (mangaged to get them at 70% off) so that isn't really a concern. I may be able to get a deal on Thule stuff too, not really sure. gas mileage is a concern but has a larger measure of security although i wouldn't trust it in, say, the southern region. i think some boxes are better aerodynamically than others (i teach a lab that has a section on areodynamic drag so i am pretty familiar with the contribuitons to drag)
gymrat

Post by gymrat »

I looked into buying a rack for my Outback and the only advice I have for you is to make sure that you can open the hatch with the box on the roof. Essentially, you'll need a cargo box with the attachments close to the "back" of the box. Otherwise, you'll be annoyed everytime you need to open the hatch and you can't get it open all of the way.
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

I have a Thule rack for an Outback that i am willing to sell... if you are interested PM me.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
pawilkes

Post by pawilkes »

im in Wisconsin so it probably wouldn't work out.

Thanks for the tip gymrat, that same thing happens when i have kayaks on top of the car and its really annoying. i would have totally forgotten to consider that if you hadn't have mentioned it.
goodguy

Post by goodguy »

I have an 06 outback and a Yak box. It fit right on the factory racks and the hatch opens perfect. It is one of the lower profile wider ones, so not so long. I love it, I get 4 people, all the climbing gear up top and all the food and clothes and stuff inside. I would definitely go with the Yak box. Good luck!
Oh man, he is messing that up. However, he is missing his left leg so that way would probably be harder for him. SCIN, just before spraying some beta for a climber doing a route the WRONG way.