Climbing Magazine Sold

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Ernie

Climbing Magazine Sold

Post by Ernie »

Just wondering what people thought of this:

New York, NY, January 5th, 2007 — Skram Media LLC, a platform company led by Mark Crowther, the publisher of Urban Climber Magazine and UCTV, announced today that it has completed the purchase of Climbing Magazine and climbing.com from PRIMEDIA, Inc. (NYSE:PRM). Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Climbing Magazine Editor-in-Chief Jonathan Thesenga will continue to serve in his role from the current location in Carbondale, Colorado.

Thesenga said, "We have a talented and cohesive group here, and I am excited that Mark wants us to continue to build Climbing Magazine with our current staff from our current location. As part of an independent and entrepreneurial publishing group, Climbing Magazine and Urban Climber Magazine will be the unrivaled leaders in the climbing world."

Crowther, Skram Media's Chief Executive Officer, said the acquisition helps implement the company's strategy of being the leading special-interest media company in outdoor sports, with a targeted portfolio of magazines and websites, all founded on a green ethic — both Climbing and Urban Climber magazines are printed on 100% recycled paper.

"Our launch of Urban Climber Magazine, in 2004, followed by the launch of our climbing film and video network — UCTV — last year, established us as a leader in the youth market. With the addition of Climbing Magazine and climbing.com to our group, we are now the leading media company for climbers of all ages," said Crowther. "This consolidation enables us to offer our advertisers ease of media planning, with opportunities to reach even more climbers at different stages of their skills and interests — across print and digital formats," he added.

Joe Iurato, Editor-in-Chief of Urban Climber Magazine, said, "We've had a long-standing relationship with the crew at Climbing Magazine — based on mutual trust and respect. It's exciting to be working with them to reach climbers of all ages."

Jim Karn of Metolius Climbing, manufactures of rock climbing gear for more than two decades, added, "Urban Climber has become unquestionably the most influential and important magazine for young climbers. More importantly, they have consistently offered us more value for our advertising dollar and better service than the other climbing magazines. Mark's acquisition of Climbing Magazine means that reaching another critical segment of our target market will now be more cost effective and totally hassle free. It's the best thing that has happened to our marketing budget in the last 10 years."

As well as growing existing magazines and websites, Skram Media's future plans include the launch of a trail-running magazine, brand extensions, and further development of digital media to expand the magazines' reach and relevance to their target audiences.
Josephine

Post by Josephine »

interesting to know - thanks for sharing
"Unthinkably good things can happen, even late in the game." ~ Under the Tuscan Sun
dyno_heaven

Post by dyno_heaven »

maybe we'll see some improvement, cdlimbings been going downhill for a while although ive never been much of a fan of urban climber either
ynot

Post by ynot »

Theres a reason they call magazines "rags"
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
stix

Post by stix »

alpinist is the only magazine worth readin
"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Thoreau
Lateralus

Post by Lateralus »

well as long as Barnes & Noble still carries it, Ill still look at the pics.. er read it
"Good things take time, impossible things take a little longer"
Percy Gerutty
wirednut

Post by wirednut »

"Best thing that has happened to our marketing budget in years"

Haha! Yeah right. Eliminating competition for your marketing dollars is somehow good? Karn was a decent climber but he needs a course in economics.
[url]http://www.wirednut.com[/url] - mid-atlantic climbing news, photos, rss
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

decent? 5.14 is "decent"? you need a course in climbing history. :wink:
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
ReachHigh

Post by ReachHigh »

I never liked primedia's other mags. What ever the subject they seem to have the least material and most adds
"there's a line between self improvement and self involvement"
"Dogs are nature's pooper scoopers ."
Wes

Post by Wes »

The new Rock and Ice has one of the funniest things I have read in a climbing mag in awhile, though it is only sorta about climbing. Running a marathon.

Plus, there is a articale on torrent by Whit. With quotes from Paul and a photo of Jen V. (by me).

Over all, I think I like the R and I larger format and content a bit better. Will be interesting to see what climbing is like in a couple months...
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda