Climbing in VA?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
Blackbeast2

Post by Blackbeast2 »

agrigabe wrote:It's not worth a trip from DC, by any means, but if you're in Charlottesville and desperate to climb something, Moorman's boulders will keep you busy for an hour or so: http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/list ... reaID=1075

x2
Noell

Post by Noell »

I went to William and Mary. There is a climbing club there and there is a wall in one of the gyms to play around on. However, in terms of outdoor climbing, you'd be driving, and driving quite a ways. There is sometimes a pretty strong group of Va Beach climbers (there's a gym there) making the trek to the New, and I think it took them like 6 hours to get there. W&M would be about 45 minutes to an hour closer.

I grew up in Lynchburg, about an hour from UVA. I think that from Cville it'd be not to bad to get to the New, just hop on 64. I'd guess maybe 3 hours?

VA doesn't have a ton of great climbing, sorry to say. Most VA people I know head to the New for the weekend, if possible, and climb in gyms. It's REALLY far to the Red!!! :cry:

BTW- If you wanna know anything about W&M, just let me know! I didn't climb when I was in college, so that wasn't an issue, but I LOVED going to school there! :P
Climb hard.
dmw

Post by dmw »

I went to school in Lynchburg. We always went to the New, or the other places I listed above.... we always drove at least an hour, 3.5 to the New
jim

Post by jim »

I live in Cville and like others have said, there isn't a whole lot here. The New is about 3.5 hours, the Red about 6.5. I usually go the Red because I hate always getting rained out at the New. Seneca is only about 2-2.5 hours though, which is nice. You can also clip some mediocre bolted lines at Franklin, which is about 2 hours from here. Driving from W & M would add about 1.5 hours to the above times from Cville. Old Rag is also worthwhile, but you need to make sure you are good at route finding or go with someone who knows there way around out there to avoid a day of frustration and/or bushwhacking--unless that is your thing.
"You're name isn't Rio, but I don't care for sand."
J

Post by J »

sportrock