Shelf Road - Good?

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

vert...there is no good vert at the red SCIN...move to colorado.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Heh, something tells me there may be a few really good slabby routes around.
tomdarch

Post by tomdarch »

I was only out at Shelf Road once for a few days - I more or less liked it. I'd say it's worth putting on your itinerary - after all, you can always head somewhere else if you don't like it. The area is pretty in a chill, low-key way. (Of course, you get there through Cañon City - Colorado's prison town! You know you're in for a good time when you see the "DO NOT PICK UP HITCHIKERS" signs along the road! Yeee haw!)

I was going to say that you might want to plan for less time at Shelf Road and more around Lander, but I don't know how cold/snowy some of that higher elevation stuff will be in WY. Wild Iris was perfect in July(? August?), so it might be cold/snowy/windy in April. Also, if you're going up to Lander, you might want to look into Tensleep Canyon. I didn't get to climb up there, but the drive up the canyon at sunset was spectacular! Actually, most of central Wyoming is spectacular just to drive around. But minimize your driving at night - I saw more deer and such along the sides of the road at night in WY then anywhere else in my life - very scary!
Bacon is meat candy.
frzsnow

Post by frzsnow »

I just got back from Shelf Rd this afternoon and I had a great time. It's so easy to get pitch after pitch in and the weather was superb! No matter how cold it was at the campground, it was like the middle of summer at the wall. There's a good mix of crimpy edges and hidden pockets on vertical rock - a lot of the routes had super cool moves. It was shorter than we were expecting but it was really fun. I'd definitely go back.

Don't forget to bring your own water.
young'n climber

Post by young'n climber »

If you are going to Wild Iris, Sinks Canyon is a must too. Also, you should check out tensleep canyon, which is about 3-4 hours north of Lander, WY and its tight as all hell up there.
Alan Evil is a whiney fucking bitch.
_____

The quest for certainty blocks the search for meaning. Uncertainty is the very condition to impel man to unfold his powers.
haas

Post by haas »

a few shots of Sarah cranking this past weekend.

pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

is that white stuff bird doo or glue holding that choss together?
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
discojett

Post by discojett »

In fact, I would suggest Colorado sport be skipped all together. hit some trad out there, and move on
I would have to agree. Good sport climbing is way too spread out in CO. But then again I live near Utah, so what do I know.
Southern Utah - Where the women are men and the sheep are scared
climbboy

Post by climbboy »

I'll have to chip in support of Shelf. I have enjoyed many a beautiful day clipping bolts there. The rock is good and the features are interesting. There is something for everyone. Granted, I am not climbing 5.13 nor am I looking to, so as far as that goes it's a bit limited. But the climbing there seems to be your standard expansive limestone crag as good as Sinks (barring the crazy overhanging cave).

Penitente canyon is interesting place to check out if you do head out that way. You could actually make quite a nice circuit by going to Shelf, Penitente (San Luis Valley) and Rifle.

Enjoy.
Blackbeast2

Post by Blackbeast2 »

haas wrote:It's not as cool as Lion's Head limestone in Ontario if you've ever been there.

Are you kidding me? Esp. early in the year. Shelf road is by far not the best climbing Colorado has to offer. hell Its not even the best in that region but still worth the visit.