What's your VO2 max? Calc. your real respiratory condition.

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
OB Juan

Post by OB Juan »

So be it! I did the original time conversion quickly in my head while typing the post. it was intended as an example and I just repeated the initial error onto the latter post. anyway the formula has a 3-5% margin of error as originally posted and a 5%margin from 52 is 49.4 so I think I'm still within the margin of error.

P.S. I'm not claiming the accuracy the ACSM is, I'm just presenting factual data that supports it.
Obcessed is what lazy people call those of us who are dedicated!
Wes

Post by Wes »

OB Juan, Do you climb? Just wondering. You seem to have the whole spray thing down pretty well, but since you are not talking about all the hard routes you have done, I was thinking that you must not climb much.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam »

Help me out on this...

I guess you would have to try the 1.5 mile run a few time to get your best reading?? I know for myself I may have "mobility problems" for several days in a row and then I might be able to bust out a very respectable run.

Now, you are saying the 1.5 is an aerobic run. Do people normally pass
out on a treadmill during aerobic testing?

Wouldn't an all out effort consist of riding that line and then stepping over
it and going anaerobic toward the end of the run?
OB Juan

Post by OB Juan »

Wes, I'm a 5.10- 5.11 climber, I'm a 5.9 -5.10 trad route lead climber, I posted on a training thread so I posted about training not climbing. I don't spray about anything really, I simply posted this because I read the threads about all of the extremely low RHR's out there and thought it would be fun to see how others V02 max were comparatively and posted mine for the hell of it It's not a boast of intention but one of interpretation.

I see people spray their BS about everything else on these boards, so whats your problem if I discuss my fitness level on this board.

I climb because I enjoy it, it's a spiritual experience, The same goes for bagging summits, paddling the big water, snowboarding big mountains, mountain biking and everything else I also do regularly.

I'd rather be a versatile athlete in multiple sports than a 5.14 climber that was pigeon holed into 1 sport. I'm also 47, so give yourself about 10 -15 or more years and when your all broken down from not cross training we'll discuss what the 5.14's did for you.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Homer: Oh, of course you'd say something like that, Marge. You've hated Ned for years! In fact, you wanted to bash his head in with a pipe.

Marge: That was you!

Homer: Love, Marge. Don't hate... love.
"Trying is the first step toward failure"

~Homer
OB Juan

Post by OB Juan »

Moonbeam:

You can do it how ever you think you achieve your best results. The test is a measure of Aerobic respiration at the cellular level, measured by oxygen intake converted to ATP via the kreb cycle. It takes the body about 3-4 minute to change from Anaerobic to aerobic respiration initially. You won't go back to anearobic respiration if you tire, you'll go anabolic (much different). In a field test estimate like this most people will quit prior to passing out so what you'll really get is a V02 peak most likely. All the same if you push as hard as you can you will get a pretty accurate value. Don't try this if your not conditioned to run 1.5 miles. Do the Rockport Walk test instead. if you can't find the formula PM me and I'll send it to you.
moonbeam

Post by moonbeam »

Thanks.

I may give it a try at some point. My main "problem" would be getting motivated to run on a
track. I normally run off road with hills, so that's probably not going to give the best time. On
the other hand, I think I'd rather crawl through ground glass and salt rather than set foot on
UK's track once again.
OB Juan

Post by OB Juan »

It's very interesting how so many on this board post about what great shape they're in, yet I don't see any V02 max posts about condition being shared.What gives?
soccerfast007

Post by soccerfast007 »

Maybe we have too much homework/real work to do to crunch numbers in complex formulas (just a thought, tho i sprayed my 62/63 VO2 a week ago)

"But marge, everytime i learn something new, it pushes something else out. remember the time we took that home wine-making course and i forgot how to drive"
"homer, you were drunk"
"oh yeah, i forget"

and my all time favorite Homer quote: "Shutup brain, or i'll stab you with a qtip"
"well Sco doesn't have my peripheral vision" - mason allen reminding us all that our peripheral vision often overlooks creepy crawlers and flying things.
Caspian

Post by Caspian »

OB Juan wrote:It's very interesting how so many on this board post about what great shape they're in, yet I don't see any V02 max posts about condition being shared.What gives?
redriverclimbing.com is a climbing forum
"how ironic....now he's blind after a life of enjoying being able to see."~Homer