New Campsite

Having problems finding a crag or a route?

New Campsite

Post by Guest »

Hey Winterstorm - will you post the directions to that new campsite again? Looks like your posts got wiped out when the glue holding Ray's computer together gave out. Unless that post is someplace else and I'm too lazy to find it..
Winterstorm

Post by Winterstorm »

These directions might sound a little complicated, but once you're on the road it's pretty simple, takes longer for me to type them out than it does to drive them. About 8-9 minutes from Slade exit.

From the Slade exit go 3.3 miles on 11/15 toward Stanton. You will see mile marker 7 and a white and brown mobile home in front of a white house. Turn right just past the house, this will take you over the Mtn. prkwy., it dead ends after a few hundred feet. Turn right again, go 1 mile to the first blacktop road on the left. Turn left here. Follow this road approx. 1.2 miles, it goes right up and over the ridge, it's pretty steep in places, do not turn off this road... there's no telling where ya might end up. :? At the bottom of the hill the road forks, the right fork will take you 180 around some big boulders. The blacktop ends here, Follow the gravel road approx. 9/10's of a mile and you will see a newly dug pond and a barn on your left and a small white house on the right. That's it.

It's pick your own spot, Do not drive past the 2nd pond with the lily pads, the property ends right after that. You can drive down through the field to find a spot, you'll see the tracks leading into the field just past the treeline by the barn and just before the 2nd pond. There's loads of firewood cut and piled around down at the treeline by the river. There's a porta potty at the barn, as well as picnic tables and lights. The best place to pull into the field is just before the second pond, you can see the tracks. The flood plain has been cleared of all the big brush and weeds and is deep sand. The creek at the far end is Star gap branch

$7 bucks a tent per night up to 4 people for climbers, civilians pay more. The owner is a nice guy, he has dug some wells and hit water and hopes to have showers and restrooms by next summer.

Ya happy now slick? :wink:
scars are tattoos with better stories

Post by Guest »

Thanks, Winterstorm! What does he charge for a bivy sack? ;-)

Anyone want to buy my FS pass cheap-ish? It's good thru December 31..
Winterstorm

Post by Winterstorm »

Actually...I have room in my tent, as long as you keep your hands to yourself and don't use any of that foo-foo girlie stuff after showering. :roll:
scars are tattoos with better stories
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

COLD showers, me thinks! :wink:
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
Lucinda

Post by Lucinda »

Is this place up and running this spring? Never been there but want to try it out and how wet is the "flood plain"?
"real life bleeding fingers..."

Post by Guest »

My concern is the pond he dug and the hungry mosquitos it will undoubtedly draw...

Hefe, anyone, have you been there in the past few weeks? Have they been a problem?

Where the hell is Winterstorm anyway?? :cry:
chester

Post by chester »

Winterstorm wrote:Actually...I have room in my tent, as long as you keep your hands to yourself and don't use any of that foo-foo girlie stuff after showering. :roll:
wait a second....I wanna sleep in your tent! :wink:
[size=84]Women are like tea bags. They don't know how strong they are until they get into hot water.[/size]
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

Me! Me! Pick Me! :P
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
Hefe

Post by Hefe »

I was there a few time over the past month. My wife and I were the only ones there and it is a nice spot. the field needs to be mowed but maybe it is by now. YOu have a full view if the night sky out there and plenty of brush around to burn. Not sure about mosquitos yet, I will find out when I go there next weekend. it would be nice to hve a few climbers out there to kick back with and drink a few brews with.