Core strength and conditioning

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
OB Juan

Core strength and conditioning

Post by OB Juan »

The single most cause of limb injury in climbing and all other dynamic sports (not including fall injuries) is poor core conditioning and lack of core strength.
Obcessed is what lazy people call those of us who are dedicated!
OB Juan

Post by OB Juan »

Her's a piece of info pertinent to core training, I'll be back with some supplimental stuff soon
OB Juan

Post by OB Juan »

awe shit, I guess I should include the link huh?

http://www.theacc.com/sports/c-swim/spe ... 06aab.html
Mike Jones

Post by Mike Jones »

I increase my core strength and conditioning by climbing 5.11

Mike Jones!
Who is Mike Jones?
gbarnett

Post by gbarnett »

I think it probably has more to do with not warming up properly.
longlegsrule

Post by longlegsrule »

gbarnett wrote:I think it probably has more to do with not warming up properly.
agreed
From Kentucky ;o)
OB Juan

Post by OB Juan »

You think what has more to do with not warming up properly, core strength, or climbing 5.11's

the purpose of core training is about total performance with minimization of injury. Warming up is specifically activating blood flow to the muscle groups, and yes that does help limit injuries. More important is the ability of the bodies core to off load a portion of the stress (from any type of dynamic movement) from the limb to the body. Increasing core strength also increases coordination. Ya know all those tendon strains and muscle strains you hear people pissing and moaning about, WELL HELLO! They're more often than not the result of not having sufficient core strength to compensate for the limb power exerted to perform a given move. Nobody here is trying to replace climbing as a method of training for climbing, but lets face it your body has limits in the condition it's in and at some point you'll need to do some additional work to elevate to the next level.

Close mindedness is a kin to ignorance and that may be fine for some, as for the rest of us we prefer to well informed and versatile.
OB Juan

Post by OB Juan »

[quote="Mike Jones"]I increase my core strength and conditioning by climbing 5.11

Considering the number of guts I've seen hanging from 5.10's and 5.11's I doubt very much if there's any core conditioning occurring on those routes
longlegsrule

Post by longlegsrule »

OB Juan wrote:
Close mindedness is a kin to ignorance and that may be fine for some, as for the rest of us we prefer to well informed and versatile.
who is this snot head? geez... :?

the only times I've ever gotten hurt climbing...is when I didn't warm up enough...fact
From Kentucky ;o)
longlegsrule

Post by longlegsrule »

oh wait...you're conceited...now I get it :lol:
From Kentucky ;o)