Multi-pitch Belay Device

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Sketch

Multi-pitch Belay Device

Post by Sketch »

What do y'all use for belaying from the top on multi-pitch routes? I've been using a reverso for a few years because the autoblock mode is sweet. Anyone try the new ATC Guide? How about the Trango B-52?
Eric

Post by Eric »

"But what is happiness except the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?" – Lord Byron
Crankmas

Post by Crankmas »

ze munter hitch
dah-le

Post by dah-le »

atc guide is really good in the atc mode, having 2 friction modes is actually quite cool...haven't yet used it in the 'guide' mode i.e. belay the 2nd up.
Alan Evil

Post by Alan Evil »

By multi-pitch you mean Roadside, right?
[size=75]You are as bad as Alan, and even he hits the mark sometimes. -charlie

"Not all conservatives are stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill[/size]
ynot

Post by ynot »

Jaws
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
ewaaser

Post by ewaaser »

I use the ATC Guide now for all my multi-pitch. I much prefer to belay the second directly off the anchor with an autolock - to me it's simpler and safer. I even hauled a gri-gri up before the ATC Guide came out (Reverso was a pain to lower once it locked). The ATC Guide still takes a little getting used to in order to lower when it's locked, but it's much easier than the Reverso. I also particularly like having the high friction mode when I'm lead belaying guys heavier than me (which is most of the time). It's a great multi-function device!

Yeah, I know I sound like an advertisement for BD.........
kirker

Post by kirker »

I'm comfortable using the reverso when bringing up somone, but am a little curious how the Kong Gri Gri works. "AT the risk of harrasment" I can only assume its used similiar to the reverso, but I don't understand how it will locks off.
ccs_277

Post by ccs_277 »

i just got the atc guide, its awsome very easy for multi pitch.
Sketch

Post by Sketch »

Good question Kirker, I was kind of curious as to how the Gi-Gi works as well. It looks like it functions in autoblock mode in much the same way as the Reverso. I found this on Kong's website:

http://www.kong.it/doc412.htm