Problems at the Red

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Spragwa

Problems at the Red

Post by Spragwa »

In writing this post, I'm gonna catch tons of crap. But these are things that I really believe. The Redriver Gorge climbing community is one of the best, most beloved factors in my life. Our community is socially diverse and wonderfully supportive. Recently, we are faced with some serious challenges that are testing our mettle as a community. Access issues are hitting the Gorge pretty dang hard. We may lose vital cliffs including the Southern Region and Torrent forever and Muir Valley is threatened by temporary closure.

Other challenges that face this community are the diverse personalities. As our lives change, our character changes and does our outlooks on life. When I first came to this community I found several personalities to be absolutely intolerable. But I learned long ago that I can dislike a person and respect their contributions. Still, I kept them at arms length and generally avoid interacting. That doesn't mean they are not part of the community and deserving of acknowledgement.

In writing this, I'm trying to say that this community can and will pull through the adversity that we are facing right now. We are good people who are willing to work hard and work together. I love this community with all my heart.

Yeah, this post is gay. But it's how I feel and I think that we need some honest time for introspection, healing and thinking about what the Gorge, or the Red, really means to us.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

Thank you, Morgain.
Cliff Heindel

Post by Cliff Heindel »

Well if this is where the line starts to catch alot of crap and be gay...is this what happens when large quantities of coffee become available in the Gorge?
I live 8 hours from the gorge and all of you poster people are not much more than voices in my head but whatever else is going on, the Southern Region is the only space big enough to hold a
good old fashion feud, so WHATEVER, lets keep paying the bills.

And, as a somewhat new contributor the the site, I've found it REMARKABLY easy to be misunderstood.
'really ?' -fluffy
SikMonkey

Post by SikMonkey »

Spragy,
you are absolutely 100% correct......that post was gay. All the warm fuzzies are giving me a hairball. ;)

Mj
...quitting drinking is kinda like washing your hands after you take a crap...why start now?
anticlmber

Post by anticlmber »

everyone contributes to this place. if its someone that gives of their time and money to let us have a place to climb, put up routes, organize ways for us to make a good image of our selves, or just some college yahoo drunk for the first time, they are a small view of what the gorge offers. they all show a side. we can learn what side we want to show, unfortunatly a lot of times it is our backside and we also speak out of that side as well. learn what angers you, for me that is alot, but do not let it consume you, mine does not. find the ways to mold this place into something special for EVERYONE. if you dont like something/someone there are nice ways to deal with it. by being dicks, we are veiwed as dicks, and treated as dicks. ie we all get screwed. i love this home more than any but we all need to start taking care of the garbage in our own backyard before we lose our backyard.
i love all you arrogant, back stabbing, number chasing, tree hugging, clear cutting, over bolting, under bolting, tick marking, dog having, beta spraying, trash throwing, mouth breathing, city folk, waste of space, trad climbing, bolt clipper, boulderers, with your "hidden" crags, that you talk about on your wireless vibrator as you sip soy chai, out of each others ass between blowing smoke up there. If it wasnt for you fucksticks i dont know what id have to be happy about. Please continue to make this community what it is.....a community/family. it really is the best. :mrgreen:
Like me on facebook but hate me in real life

Post by Guest »

the way I see it is that we are one big dysfunctional family. We may not always like each other, but we should certainly stick together or we might just end up homeless, with plastic as our only remaining option.
RRO

Post by RRO »

Long post, skip as needed.

In the time of late fees, time clocks, contracts, dead lines, traffic jams and endless to do lists why do we bring the “real” world drama and bullshit into climbing?

As humans it seems imbedded in our genes that drama must exist. IMO it’s a human character flaw that needs stamped out. Maybe I am naive in thinking that humans and for some reason especially climbers are inherently good and truly care at a level greater than ones self.

Maybe my eyes were closed years ago when I first hit the scene we know as the Red. To me it just seems like the camps are becoming more and more divided. Please don’t take me wrong, great things have been done and many a good deeds have gone unspoken. Its just seems so political and like everyone is walking on eggshells lately.

I’m not an educated man so maybe it’s not as clear to me as it is to others. I just can’t comprehend all the negative emotion and behavior that’s going on. It feels like an elementary school recess and you have to pick sides for Red Rover. We are blessed with the some of the best climbing in the country, the most generous land owners, a community that when needed pulls together and makes amazing things happen. Yet we seem to dwell on who’s right or wrong. Last I checked there were no rules in climbing.

Climbing is just a stepping-stone to a much greater path. To me it’s the friendships we make, the places we see and a way to see the potential of oneself and others. Why must we muddy the waters with child like name calling, full on personal attacks and long term grudges and gossip?

Perfection and heavenly bliss are only found in fairy tales and I don’t expect them to find there way into our little community, it would be way to damn boring if it did. But I would like to ask that the next time you feel the need to belittle someone, complain about his or her choices in life or climbing, respond to an online attack that you step back and chill a second. Re-read a post before you hit submit, think before you speak and let bullshit gossip stop with you. Use common courtesy dealing with people.

Imagine if everyone applied their energy to a greater good what could be done in the Red.

In the end its only rock climbing. Enjoy the moment while it lasts, none of us will make it out alive and who knows when our time may come.
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress

Post by Guest »

you're educated in the important ways, Matt. (See my new favorite quote in my sig line. I couldn't agree with you more!)
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

sprag, you suck for starting this thread. :wink:

however, covering up these issues will not result in "community" if the under current is full of wrath and venom.

i do agree with RRO though. these things need to be aired between the concerned parties, not between all of us drama queens on here.

shut down this site for the entire summer, except for the online guide..maybe we all will climb more and bitch less.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
mcrib

Post by mcrib »

I still can't figure out why I come to this site so much. But I come here after checking my email. Some stuff on this site pisses me off. But then I realize that this is the internet. I am still enjoying some of the best climbing days I've ever had in the red and I've climbing there for twelve years. I am worried about things. I feel like there are fears being realized. I never want any ill to come to the Gorge that I consider my spirtual home.
"I just want to disappear"