drastic idea for Torrent Falls

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...

drastic idea for Torrent Falls

Post by Guest »

I have an idea about how to protect climbing at Torrent Falls. It's rather extreme, but keep an open mind...

Mark should close Torrent to the public and only allow a small group of responsible climbers to climb there. Those climbers will have parking passes (that we, as climbers create and manage). We can erect signs stating that Torrent Falls is closed to the public and that unauthorized cars will be towed at the owners expense.

The climbers who have permission can sponsor other climbers, perhaps at a one-to-one ratio. The sponsors will be responsible for explaining the rules and policing these 'new' climbers. The climbers that are sponsored don't have to be locals--they can be anyone (for instance, climbers you meet at Miguel's and who are willing to bribe you with beer...). Once those climbers have proven they will respect the rules and understand the gravity of the situation, they can sponsor additional climbers. And so on. Eventually, anyone who wants to climb at Torrent will be able to do so again, but they will also have the perspective of having had Torrent closed to them. Anyone who violates the rules will be blackballed. This means that we will have to be willing to have cars that do not display permits towed, and we will have to take responsibility for the climbers we sponsor.

It could work. JR would be the ideal person to pick the first group of authorized climbers, even though he's an ass.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

time to kiss up to JR...
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
captain static

Post by captain static »

This is not so drastic as Mark has said that if he is forced to implement the closure he will only allow climbers that he knows and trusts to climb there. However he does truly seem to want to keep the area open to the general public. The RRGCC is also committed to keeping the area open to the general public as that is our mission for all climbing.

By focussing on Torrent I think the point is being missed that "responsible climbing" is crucial to maintaining open public access to all climbing areas public or private. Not following guidelines in ANY area jeopardizes access. I pulled out my copy of the RRGCC video "The Freedom to Climb is Not Free" the other night and watched it. At the end of the video the point is made that ideally ALL climbers need to know and follow responsible climbing guidelines in ALL areas to protect our access.

Although "The Freedom to Climb is Not Free" is somewhat dated and focusses on USFS issues I am wondering what it would take to convert it into a Podcast for download or for it to be burned onto a cut CD to hand out. I am not that computer savy to know what that would take.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
lordjim_2001

Post by lordjim_2001 »

Since I haven't seen "The freedom to climb is not free" so I don't know what media it was released on. I'll assume standard VHS. I have a couple of friends that can do a straight dupe to a DVD-R. You can then copy them using your computer if you have a DVD burner in it, or by a standalone duplicator. If you don't get a better offer let me know and I can do that. Also you could host it over on youtube.com once you get it into the format that they want over there.
Screw you guys. I'm going bowling.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Edited by TK.
Last edited by Sunshine on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing-- Zep
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

come on cheery ole sunshine...

secret fraternities have existed for all time...i've been told there is good trad climbing in the red, but no one will take me to it. i need an "in"...

i say charge the standard fee, quit worrying about that wilderness act covering yer butt, and get on with taking the money. pay someone to police it for you. if you're collecting cash, that same person is also the information officer for the day...the scum bag climber gets some cash, gets to spray, and gets to keep tabs on his other scum bag friends. oh yeah, that person also has to pick up any trash and shit he can't convince others to carry out.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

Pig man. That would be the Gunks model. I am a huge fan of pay to play. That is provided we get good service for our money. I have stated this view here as well as from the pulpit.

I hear that there are some great 5.12 offwidths!
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing-- Zep
captain static

Post by captain static »

lordjim_2001 wrote:Since I haven't seen "The freedom to climb is not free" so I don't know what media it was released on. I'll assume standard VHS. I have a couple of friends that can do a straight dupe to a DVD-R. You can then copy them using your computer if you have a DVD burner in it, or by a standalone duplicator. If you don't get a better offer let me know and I can do that. Also you could host it over on youtube.com once you get it into the format that they want over there.
What I have is VHS. It was shot by Jeff on this bbs and he may have something better, like the original, to work with. I have sent him an e-mail about this idea. WHen I hear back from him I'll let you know.
"Be responsible for your actions and sensitive to the concerns of other visitors and land managers. ... Your reward is the opportunity to climb in one of the most beautiful areas in this part of the country." John H. Bronaugh
kirker

Post by kirker »

At the fear of not being able to climb at Torrant. Sandy your idea would proably provide a lasting solution to the existing problem. And with the users being so limited with your idea if any problems would arise it could be easily address.
ynot

Post by ynot »

It's not such a bad idea. Ultimately it's up to Mark what happens.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney