possible new rock gym

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.
tsparks

Post by tsparks »

pigsteak wrote:i agree that richmond is cheaper. have you checked out the eku wall yet?
I've heard that the EKU wall is very good, but you have to be a student or with a student to get in.
$DO||!$DO; try
try is not a command
M Hale

Post by M Hale »

I teach at EKU and even I can't get to that D@#%@*^! climbing wall! and I have gotten FAT!!!! I don't even have any calluses on my fingers any more. ( this is what having infants does to your outdoor climbing!)
Michael J Hale
Ars Longa, Vita Brevis
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

You're right, Busty! But only because Richmond is closer to me, and I have a daughter living in Richmond. Of course, if Bourbon and Tolouse was part of the package......... :D
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
goodguy

Post by goodguy »

So is there going to be a gym in Lexington? Please tell.
Oh man, he is messing that up. However, he is missing his left leg so that way would probably be harder for him. SCIN, just before spraying some beta for a climber doing a route the WRONG way.
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

M Hale wrote:I wonder what the numbers of people who would go to a gym in Richmond are versus the numbers who would go to Lexington. I am sure that the area couldn't support two gyms, but Richmond is cheaper and would allow lower rates for climbing because of lower overhead. (overhead costs, not ceilings ha ha ha)
Honestly, I wouldn't drive to Richmond to go boulder at the gym. I'd like to say that I would but my habits aren't conducive to trips during the week. Sorry!
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
kek-san

Post by kek-san »

I live in Richmond and drive to Lexington everyday for some silliness... called work. I would gladly drive 20-30 minutes from here for the opportunity to do something I love, like climb at a gym.

If the opportunity presented itself I would join and be there 2x a week.
"Dying?" Man, that's the last thing I want to do. - overheard
toddc

Post by toddc »

I live in Winchester, but I would drive to either place to boulder. I don't like climbing routes in the gym, but I love to boulder. So, if you open a gym with good bouldering, count me in as a member.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

More news on a lexington facility should be forthcoming in the next 1-2 months.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
JB

Post by JB »

I personally would think a gym would work in Lex, but not Richmond. A lot of Lex locals won't even drive down when I have free days at the EKU wall... and I used to run what was basically a commercial outfit here in town that offered climbing wall use for parties, teambuilding, and general use and got very little interest from the Richmond community.

M Hale - all EKU faculty and staff are welcome to come work out in the EKU Fitness and Wellness Center (including climbing)... $5 a day or for an annual membership fee. On the front page here:

http://www.campusrec.eku.edu/

If you build a gym here and Lexington gets one... you're outta business pretty quick I'd bet... even if your rates are $5 lower a day.

Lex will have a gym again, I know at least 3 people who are planning one... we'll see who gets it moving first! :shock:
[size=75]i may be weak, but i have bad technique[/size]
busty

Post by busty »

JB is probably right. We need a gym locally, but I suspect I would only go to Richmond occasionally to climb. I'd be much more likely to use a gym in Lexington at least weekly.
I'm an experienced woman; I've been around... well, alright, I might not've been around, but I've been... nearby.
~ Mary Richards (Mary Tyler Moore Show)