Running

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.

How many of ya'll out there run?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:50 pm

Once a week.
3%
Twice a week.
26%
Three or more times a week.
39%
What's running and why would I do something so agonizing like running?!
32%

Total votes: 31

dipsi

Post by dipsi »

Dink Dink wrote:
Join the Army!
Just a tad old for that! But proud of you!
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

Wes wrote: Red bull (suger free)
You're wrecking your stomach by drinking that and then running.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Wes wrote:iPod shuffle with angery music
A playlist of Beastie Boys has been working for me lately. Nothing like getting the head bob going when Brass Monkey comes around. Anybody ever drank any Brass Monkey..the liquor? Basically its fortified wine like Nitro or Thunderbird. Bad stuff.
I need more angry music...americana is more depressing than angy.

Wes wrote:Red bull (suger free)
How can an energy drink give you energy when its sugar free? My PhD chemist friend tried to break it down to me but I forgot all the ins and outs. How can a food or drink give you any energy when its sugar free when sugar is energy? No I'm down with a RB here and there...I kinda like the tangy Sweet Tart smell and taste.
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Oh is anyone around here running the Derby marathon this year? Looks to be sorta fun, they let you into the Downs to run around the infield. Plus you get to run across one of the bridges into Indiana and back.
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ohh this just in, my wife tells me it is the calories that give you energy. So does Red Bull have calories? If it is sugar free it shouldn't have calories right? OK, random thoughts about 'energy' drinks.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

"Red Bull Sugar Free

Ingredients: carbonated water, sodium citrate, taurine, glucuronolactone,caffeine, acesulfame k, aspartame, inositol, xanthan gum, niacinamide, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hcl, vitamin b12, artificial flavors, colors

Nutrition Facts: serving size 1 can; calories 10; fat 0g; sodium 200mg; total carb 3g; sugars og; protein less than 1g; niacin 100%; vitamin b6 250%; vitamin b12 80%; pantothenic acid 50%"

Read the ingredients Steve,
My guess is the things that aren't natural are giving you that geek-out tweak buzz.
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

Taurine acts as a form of caffeine (and Red Bull obviously has caffeine too.)
Even in the absence of calories (sugar) these ingredients will "turn on" the glucose burning potential of cells and through various machinations of the liver and muscle, tapping into glucose stores you already have (glycogen and ulitmately fat and muscle).
A great ergogenic aid for the red point. Almost as good as pseudofed!
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
KD

Post by KD »

I used to be a 50 - 70 a week miler. loved running and did it everyday. I started running marathons and ended up completing 40 of them in a space of 5 years. my course pr was just under 3:15. I was going to go for 50 marathons because i thought it was a cool number i guess. I enetred the smoky mtn marathon they used to run in townshend tn. i had run it several times before and knew the course well. in one day we hand frost, then 65 deg., rain, then snow with a pretty good headwind going out to mile 13 or so. At mile 20 started thinking 'why am i doing this?" i couldn't get my motivation back. started walking and ended up in a sag gtting shuttled back to the finish line. :) I lost my motivation for running that day and have never really gotten it back either. that was about 5 years ago. i still run - a little. i usually will get off the couch and run 6 - 10 miles on a weekend then not run again for a week or more. i love it - but just cant get motivated again.
tsparks

Post by tsparks »

Steve wrote:Oh is anyone around here running the Derby marathon this year? Looks to be sorta fun, they let you into the Downs to run around the infield. Plus you get to run across one of the bridges into Indiana and back.
I ran it last year. Actually getting to go into Churchill and Indiana are both new, so I can't comment on them, but other than that the first half of the marathon is awesome. Lots of runners and fan support, plus you are getting to run through a pretty nice part of Louisville, but the second half is the exact opposite. Overall, it was a fun race and I do plan to do it again.
$DO||!$DO; try
try is not a command
tomdarch

Post by tomdarch »

Sugar free 'energy drinks' give you energy like 'moisturizers' give your skin water. Sugar free energy drinks are just stimulant delivery systems and moisturizers are all about applying grease back to your skin! (Sorry, I'm just ranting about the fact that 'moisture'izers aren't about moisture, they're all about oil! arrgh! what a scam! That's how they get you! Where's my tinfoil hat?)
Bacon is meat candy.