Running

Quit whining. Drink bourbon. Climb more.

How many of ya'll out there run?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:50 pm

Once a week.
3%
Twice a week.
26%
Three or more times a week.
39%
What's running and why would I do something so agonizing like running?!
32%

Total votes: 31

Meadows

Post by Meadows »

I'm addicted to running, but it's the stepmill and bike for me for two more months (so my ankle can recover).

Why are you asking?
kek-san

Post by kek-san »

I first started to run as something to relieve stress, and eventually I came to like it. I layed off for a few years, got heavier and decided I needed something to get the weight off. I trained for and ran a marathon and it was the best weight down activity I've ever done (25lbs down and several more moved from fat to muscle). I recently started running again and hate to admit that I'm enjoying it. Plus -4lbs so far and maybe another one from fat to muscle.
Three thoughts: 1) Running on a treadmill sucks. It's mind numbing and harder than outdoors 2) If you can run with a partner, you will be more consistant with training, and the runs are easier. 3) Running tends to be hard on the body. Shoes make a huge difference. And if you've the option, run on trails or in the grass as it is easier on the joints.
"Dying?" Man, that's the last thing I want to do. - overheard
kato

Post by kato »

Only when there's a ball involved.
No chalkbag since 1995.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

kek-san wrote:Three thoughts: 1) Running on a treadmill sucks. It's mind numbing and harder than outdoors 2) If you can run with a partner, you will be more consistant with training, and the runs are easier. 3) Running tends to be hard on the body. Shoes make a huge difference. And if you've the option, run on trails or in the grass as it is easier on the joints.
1) Run with music and learn to go to your happy place - the treadmill ain't that bad.

2) Good luck finding someone with time, motivation and ability as you. Find the motivation within or through your iPod.

3) Shoes make a tremendous difference, but even more so are custom made insoles (orthotics). Costly, but in the end, will save your knees and hips from uneven, harsh impact. Women especially should look into these.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Yep, and many gyms have cardio TV, so you can watch something while running on the treadmill. Personally, I just like angry music.

Treadmills also work well for training with someone else, since you can each set your own pace. I find them to be easier then outside running, at least in the hilly parts of Lexington.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
redpointron

Post by redpointron »

Wes wrote:Yep, and many gyms have cardio TV, so you can watch something while running on the treadmill. Personally, I just like angry music.
i know what you're saying...i had to buy my wife her own ipod last month. she was tired of NIN. :roll:

and i second meadows comments about custom made inserts. they have made a world of difference...

regards

r.r.
Stewy911

Post by Stewy911 »

i hate running
Who Me? I gotta hitch hike god damn 18 miles to get a god damn beer......that's bullshit.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

running sucks.....no mad skillz and boring.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

Kind of like you, Pigsteak.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Meadows, I'm just curious how many climbers run for fun or training.

Jill and I have been running pretty much 3 times a week since last September, training for a marathon and a trail run this spring/summer. Neither one of us are (were) runners until now. I dabbled a bit in running for fitness during/after college and ran track in high school (sucked ass at it, but loved the team atmosphere and travel during indoor season). So a friend suckered us into running this race in June and we have embraced the running thing ever since. Its good for discipline, exercise, and mental health. We had a treadmill anyway so it has gotten its share of use on these cold days. The mild winter has made it easier to run outside which helps big time. We've found ourselves running on climbing trips venturing into the Dolly Sods while at Seneca, and a Gold's Gym in Rainbow City while at HP40. Haven't climbed since last November so can't really test the running as training for climbing, but I'm sure it will help in some way, shape, or form. But running regularly has given me more energy to get through the day which has been helping as I plow up and down the marble steps of the capital and the few times we've been cross country skiing this winter. I'm guessing it will help with the climbing approaches...hope it helps with the actual climbing too.
I see they are still lopping off mountains in Eastern Kentucky. Electricity isn't cheap.