FS ROAD 9 CURRENT STATUS

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
Glenrider

Post by Glenrider »

[i]Semper Exploro[/i]
www.redriversaga.com
Glenrider

Post by Glenrider »

Natural Bridge Shell at Slade is asking for your signature on a Petition to re-open FS Road 9 into Indian Creek. The Sponsor of this Petition is unknown to us. The number of locations this Petition is displayed is also unknown.

As to FS Road 9's Current Status it is unchanged. Will be contacting the USFS (Now the Stanton Office of the Cumberland Ranger District) soon to discover what plans, if any, lay ahead in 2006 for this area.

To View the Road's Condition Hit this Link:
http://redriversaga.topcities.com/recon.html
[i]Semper Exploro[/i]
www.redriversaga.com
Huggybone

Post by Huggybone »

Anybody think it would be good to have a petition to keep it closed?
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

I like that idea. KEEP FS 9 CLOSED!!!
There is no TEAM in I
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

I've been wanting to get back to Lost Ridge, Purple Valley, Muscle Beach, Indian Creek, Dip Wall, etc. for so long. Those are some of the best trad crags and would be pretty much lost if FS9 stays closed. Only Pistol and Pebble are still accessible. Sure, I could mountain bike with a 40lb trad pack or make the multi-mile hike out to those far away crags but that's just unrealistic. Why would you petition to keep it closed? :?
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
busty

Post by busty »

I agree it's unrealistic to try to hike to those crags - at least with any frequency. Plus, you are probably even more screwed if you get hurt and need emergency help.

You could probably fix this road for less than it costs W. to fly to Texas every other weekend...but that's a discussion for another thread.
I'm an experienced woman; I've been around... well, alright, I might not've been around, but I've been... nearby.
~ Mary Richards (Mary Tyler Moore Show)
Christian

Post by Christian »

Last week I wanted to ask about FS 9 just to get everbody going on this again...
If it stays closed i think we should start a "sherpa" porter type service for hauling gear back to the upper reaches of FS 9... hire locals at ridiculously low wages after converting them to confused Buddhists that think that accepting life as it is means allowing them to be exploited by Euro imperialists....blah blah blalanana :roll:
I try to be a good man but all that comes
of trying is I feel more guilty.
Ikkyu
Wes

Post by Wes »

It is a shame that with all the map/gps nuts on here who also love to bushwack, that no one has blazed a trail in from the 77 side. Seems like there should be a way, and if it crosses some non FS property, perhaps a tempory easment could be granted? I would love to get back to muscle beach this spring...
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
Christian

Post by Christian »

Wes, I have often thought there should be a way to get through from 77. I look at the topo maps but a trail never appears. Has anyone tried that approach?
I try to be a good man but all that comes
of trying is I feel more guilty.
Ikkyu
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

There is a way to get down into the area that is totally FS. You just gotta look. I don't know if it is a feasible route and you're still gonna be hiking a good distance to get to most crags.

I'll offer my services to anyone that can make it worth my while to haul gear out on a bike trailer. I can haul two packs to Purple Valley in about 45 min.

Make me an offer...I'll work it out so it's all legal through the FS too. Maybe I could make a shuttle schedule for busy weekends. Trips out at 8am, 10am, 12pm, 4pm, 6pm, 8pm...what say?

Tackett, you supply bikes for people wanting to go out there this spring summer? If you people can make it good for me so I can make a part time living off it I'll do it.

Wow, I just keep thinking of great ideas. I could offer overnight shuttle service, drop you off Saturday morning and pick you up Sunday afternoon/eve. Or even Friday evening and pick you up Sunday sometime. You could hit a lot of crags that way.

I could feasibly get camping gear and climbing gear for two people in one trip. If I were in better shape I could probably do four.
There is no TEAM in I