what do we have?

Paul3eb

what do we have?

Post by Paul3eb »

we need to know what we have with the pmrp.

do we have anything endangered? arch sites? environmental, cultural, historical significance? economic?

what hiking/biking opportunities do we have?

backcountry camping sites?

what's the ecological significance of the pmrp?

i know some of these matter, others don't, others are in the works. but i think it'd be good to keep in mind that we need to know what we have so that we can properly account for and market the need for the land. we'd be in like flint if we found some endangered species on the land.. even better if it's furry, bigger, and has big eyes.
and great loves will one day have to part -smashing pumpkins
RRO

Post by RRO »

The land actually has a lot of cultural sites. At Chica there are hominy holes and I have heard of a few other reports like that. Bill says he knows of some areas.

Biking is going to happen. I am working with that and we are waiting for the BOD to give me a date to ave the first trail day. I have also been working with a local bike shop and one of the writers for the KYMBA newletters. She has given me more information on grants today and will let you all know as I find out more.

I think for any type of backcountry/hiking to catch on it would have to be somewhat of an inforamtive hike. You could hike for miles and miles and have signs and maps in different areas pointing out plants, wildlife, arches and cultural sites.
http://www.redriveroutdoors.com

If you need to contact me , email me. Less Internet, less stress
charlie

Post by charlie »

Should have the final schedule tomorrow after the BOD meeting so we can get the biking rolling.

There are some archeological sites, Shannon and Bill have been talking to the archeological community based on their relationships they have built at the LAC meetings and we plan to get them on the property to do an inventory. It's an attempt to make an ally out of one of the groups that has the potential to shut down routes all over (private property and FS land).

Lots of talk for building campsites as well but that's something Bob and Mark have been working on and I'm kinda pleading ignorance. We plan to get generators and having some events back there this year to start getting that momentum going.

Another thing is to get some natural biologists to take inventory. I admit though, through my experience with TNC I remain sceptical that there is a lot of stuff there that would register. Where Muir Valley has a ton of biology, our property has been abused pretty hard over the years and ecological significance ain't the big payoff. Just look at the streams rolling through there, we drive through them on a regular basis.