family friendly (top-rope) climbing trip for March or April?

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
mamaclimber

family friendly (top-rope) climbing trip for March or April?

Post by mamaclimber »

hello there!
i'm hoping someone can help me out. i've been to the gorge and climbed a long time ago, pre-kids. now i have a 4 year old and a 1 year old and my husband and i want to take the family climbing. last year we went with 7 other families to southern illinois and had a blast. we'd like to try red river gorge this year!

we are top-rope climbers, would like to be directed to an area with an easy route for kids and then a 5.8, 5.9 for adults. we'd also like info on any big cabins we could rent out since nasty weather camping sucks with little kids.

any help would be appreciated. thanks!!!
Rachael
novice climber, mama to two fledgling climbers
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

Practice wall in Muir Valley. 5.4, 5.6 sport. Short routes. Really fun for kiddos.........and :oops: me.

Lots of variety in Muir Valley. Something for everyone. Go to the online guidebook too. Have fun.
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
Artsay

Post by Artsay »

There's not much (any?) easy toproping only areas in the gorge. As dipsi said, check out Muir Valley for super easy climbs but you'll have to lead them to get the toprope on them.

Or, if you're interested in having someone guide you, we're currently doing a fundraiser to save a climbing area in the RRG and I bet, if you wanted, you could offer up some $$ and someone on this site would take you out and setup everything for you guys and donate that money to the Red River Gorge Climber's Coalition. Someone just recently auctioned of themselves as a belay slave for day in our online auction. :)

Check this out for details: http://www.redriverclimbing.com/fundraiser/FAQ.php
Does he have a strange bear claw like appendage protruding from his neck? He kep petting it.
tamara

Post by tamara »

You could set up some top ropes at Half Moon, but I wouldn't suggest it because it is really trashy b/c of the main user groups there are not climbers. You might get hit by a beer bottle while you are climbing. I would suggest the guiding deal mentioned.
Christian

Post by Christian »

or contact Jeff at Truenorth Outfitters.
I try to be a good man but all that comes
of trying is I feel more guilty.
Ikkyu
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Truenorth or use the auction to get a belay slave to setup topropes at the Muir.

Lago Linda or Torrent Falls for Cabins.
Living the dream
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Or call Matt and Amy at Red River Outdoors 606-663-ROCK.

Don't even consider half moon with kids. Bad choice.

The Practice Wall at Muir is good. YOu can set the routes up without leading them, walk up from the left. You gotta be careful on the ledge with loose rock and stuff but there are bolt anchors.
There is no TEAM in I
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

Good idea Artsay! A donation to the coalition would ensure lots of TR.
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
Zspider

Post by Zspider »

That's one of the problems of the Gorge. There are very few places where a non-leader can set up several easy topropes. Actually, I think there are none.

ZSpider
Feanor007

Post by Feanor007 »

practice wall at muir, short ~30feet, but 5.1-5.10b , or even rebel branch for older kids/adults
hey, if you yell to your belayer saying "why charles III, you are quite possibly the worst belayer ever" will he throw his tea on you?
-scott