Free Solo

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
john e aragon

Post by john e aragon »

it will be difficult for me explain the techinique i used but, here goes. first i use a silent partner so it works no matter what the orientation of the climber. second, build an anchor (WATCH YOUR LOADING DIRECTON). lead out as normal. when you get to the belay build another anchor and back lead/ toprope to the first anchor. after you get back remove the anchor and toprope/ lead back to high anchor. yes it is a pain in the ass but if i fall the rope is there to catch me. take my word for it the silent partner will catch you i have taken whippers on it! the first time i took a whipper i was over a hundred feet up and would have been a goner for sure.
because i can
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

That kinda makes sense I guess. It just seems hairy to reverse the mantel move.
There is no TEAM in I
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

did you guys see that fucktard solo that gay route in the ruckus. i heard that guy is dead or something. definitely something wrong with that one. i mean why would anyone be so irresponsible? i bet he just wanted to get in the video for something other than blowing up a banana in his pants.
fuck the haters
Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

I will (when the time is right), and it's near, solo Synchronicity! That will be the one and only solo for me. The timing and synergy are converging. Just synchro and me. I may want (and need), to have a friend to share this experience with.
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing-- Zep
ynp1

Post by ynp1 »

show off! soloing is for yourself.
I don't have haters, I have fans in denial.
the lurkist

Post by the lurkist »

I'll bring the c collar and the backboard.
"It really is all good ! My thinking only occasionally calls it differently..."
Normie
Gobstopper

Post by Gobstopper »

So if the highway partrol or government can mandate seat belt usage for our safety(whether we want it or not), should the forest service or whoever might be involved with rescue or body retrieval be allowed to make a similar law where climbers would be required to use ropes while climbing? I don't agree with either, just a thought.
Huggybone

Post by Huggybone »

The state can force you to wear helmets, seatbelts, etc...

Courrious Journal has run a series of articles on all the things the state is trying pass. The one that slays me is the helmet law for ATV. the journal used a 12 year old kid who busted himself up as a 'good reason' to have the law. How about this-

DON'T LET YOUR 12 YEAR OLD DRIVE AN ATV!
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."
Gobstopper

Post by Gobstopper »

Although I guess there really aren't solo climbers splatting all over the ground at the Red, so no good reason a "rope" law should ever come up anyway.
Andy

Post by Andy »

I went to Jackson Falls in So. Ill. and barrowed a guide book. I was surprised to see that First Free Solo ascents were documented in the guide book. The routes there arn't super long and quite a few of them toped out. It was kind of neat getting on routes and knowing, not only that they had been free soloed, but when they'd been free soloed before.
"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go."
-- T.S. Eliot