How do you Gear Solo?

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
Gentry

How do you Gear Solo?

Post by Gentry »

CAn someone run through the basics steps of a Gear Solo? Basically how do you Solo something on gear w/o a soloist? or is some belay device required?
bazoqop

Post by bazoqop »

If you've gotta ask......

Dont do it.
"Huh?"
Wes

Post by Wes »

You need a belay device or clove hitch, unless you are doing it speed style, where you just stay clipped into one - three pieces with daisy chains. Experenced only for sure.

I have found roped solo to be kinda a pain in the ass, and just go bouldering now instead.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
Gentry

Post by Gentry »

If I have to ask i shouldnt do it? was it something you just played with and figured out or did someone show you or at least explain it to you?
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

Apprenticeship
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
McDowell

you need to

Post by McDowell »

Best thing for you to do is actually find someone to show you in person. Also find as many books on anchors as well.
bazoqop

Post by bazoqop »

Gentry wrote:If I have to ask i shouldnt do it? was it something you just played with and figured out or did someone show you or at least explain it to you?
No. As Wes stated rope soloing is complex and a hassle. Very easy to get things wrong.
I've set up a few solo toprope rigs and tried rope soloing once ( with a Gibbs ascender and a clove hitch ) and it was no fun.
I'm with Wes. Go boldering instead.
"Huh?"
ynot

Post by ynot »

It's just better to have a partner.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
overhung

Post by overhung »

It's a hassle. Not worth it.
I've had just about enough of this shit.
batguano

Post by batguano »

Rope soloing is something like 3 times more work, 5 times slower and 10 times scarier than climbing with a partner. not to mention more dangerous. That said, it can be very rewarding, depending on what you want to do. Aid climbing lends itself to rope soloing more so than free climbing.
If you're looking for a starting point, I would reccomend "Big Walls", by John Long and John Middendorf. The most comprehensive book on wall climbing and rope soloing is Chongos book, I think he calls it the "Ground Manual" It has about 700 pages of systems with various amounts of useability. If you can find a way to contact him he would most likely be happy to sell you one for around $100.

have fun and be careful.
weather is occurring.