Cams - BD vs Wild Country Tech Friends

Placing a cam? Slotting a nut? Slinging a tree?
ReluctantHoosier

Cams - BD vs Wild Country Tech Friends

Post by ReluctantHoosier »

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also, in terms of BD sizes, do most agree that #.5 through #3 – with doubles of #1, #2, & #3 – constitutes a decent cam selection for trad (5.7 – 5.9) in the Red?
KD

Post by KD »

got 'em both and like the camalots the best - wider range and double axle. they're a little heavier but not that much.
Wes

Post by Wes »

BD cams have some gaps between .75 and 1; 1 and 2, that friends fit into nicely. So, a rack of both is a nice thing to have. And, seems like a lot of the easy to moderate trad in the red would take some bigger gear, so maybe try for a 3.5 and a 4.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda

Post by Guest »

I agree with what Wes says. Also, I don't like the BD .5. Skip that and get either a TCU or an Alien for that size.
dhoyne

Post by dhoyne »

There's a few really fun moderate trad routes that need a 4.5 and/or 5.0 (of the old sizing, not sure what that is in the new sizes). It's helpful to know someone who has these!
Sarcasm is a tool the weak use to avoid confrontation. People with any balls just outright lie.

[quote="Meadows"]I try not to put it in my mouth now, but when I do, I hold it with just my lips.[/quote]
hearn

Post by hearn »

I like the action that the BD's have a much more than the WC's, it seems a little smoother and more consistant through the sizes. I will disagree with Sandy on the BD .5 though. I love mine, but if you double up on that size don't get two BD .5's. Also I thing that the Yellow Alien/ TCU is as used almost as much as my #2 BD. I swear that little yellow goes everywhere.
ynot

Post by ynot »

I think the quality of BD is just bettwer than any other cam I have used. They will last longer and work better. I have a rack of Metoliuos and they have taken a beating in just 5 years.The BD's still are fine.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
ReluctantHoosier

Post by ReluctantHoosier »

Thanks everyone for your posts. All sounds like good advice. I'll keep my eyes on the "Alien Failure" post to see what develops regarding the alleged failure. Thanks again.
Ballss

Post by Ballss »

I have both WC and BD cams. For the money, WC is by FAR the better bargain. The expanded range others rave about is negligible, and the extra 20 bucks a piece in your pocket will make you feel better about the extra 6 ounces you pull up with you. They are really durable. WC hands down.
The fingers you have used to dial are too fat. To obtain a special dialing wand, please mash the keypad with you palm now...........
kek-san

Post by kek-san »

The new BD's are really nice. New action, can resling to a double sling. The sizes are reasonable espically #'s 1,2 and 3. But I agree with Wes and a few WC's better round things out. In short if you've got the option a few of each would be great.

As for the cost. well, all I can say is sometimes you just need to put that aside and look at safety (which should encompass: strength, usablility, longevity, etc)

just my $0.02
"Dying?" Man, that's the last thing I want to do. - overheard