Climbing this winter

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

military and left flank? did I miss something last time I was there? they don't exactly exude "beach weather" to me. I was thinking along the lines of Solar Collector.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

Are you sure you've been to LF (Too many puppies excluded)? Very sunny.

Many places get good sun at Military. Forearm Follies and the Fuzzy wall
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

sorry, meadows...I guess I missed something....then again..I hate the 11 wall there....actually, outside of 3-4 routes, LF pretty much sucks....ok, 6-7 routes.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
Meadows

Post by Meadows »

I see, I wouldn't go to a crag either if it had only 6-7 good routes, expecially if they're high rated routes. :roll:
Last edited by Meadows on Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huggybone

Post by Huggybone »

pig-
pulling your leg

Sunny places:
Fortress
Funk rock
Skybridge ridge
Roadside
Global village
Emerald city
Motherload
Drive-by
Solar collector
Military
Long wall
Pebble beach
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."
spuzo

Post by spuzo »

I think that the best approach is to remember to "layer" your clothes. Capaline/polypro as a base layer (or merino wool if you like) as a whicking layer. a lightweight fleece or wool sweater then a down or polypro layer and on top of that a Windproof and waterproof layer. Just a light wind will drain mad amounts of heat off of you. Don't forget the gloves. A hat that can cover your ears and good shoes. If you are going to be walking where your feet could get wet. wear boots. Take a crazy creek or a piece of sleeping pad so your arse doesn't get cold (realize that you'll have to stand all day with out it!)

Once you climb your first route your hands will be miserable cold! But Keep climbing. As your hands recover they will actually start to feel hot! Good climbing the rest of the day. Climb on crimp routes if possible (less skin exposured to the rock the better. Remember the rock will be as cold as the ambient temperature so if its 5 degrees outside. the rock will be the same.

One last tip. Keep your climbing shoes inside of your jacket under your arm pits. This will keep them warm and toasty. Nothing worse than climbing shoes that have gotten sweaty and then frozen over.No thats COLD!!!

Cold weather is about heat management. with a proper plan you can climb all year!!
"I enjoyed a Guinness after I got back home from Palm Sunday Mass." - Captain Static

"Listen, you heard what I said. Do you want me to donate or not charlie. Suck it up and procreate." - Andrew
flashmaster

Post by flashmaster »

Whiskey, Lots and Lots of Whiskey
dipsi

Post by dipsi »

I love winter climbing! Gives me a good excuse when I fall!
What I love about running is you can meditate while running. It's a peaceful place.

Sister Mary Elizabeth Lloyd, Runs marathons to raise money and awareness about children orphaned by AIDS
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

Bruisebros Wall bakes in the sun. So does the Solarium.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley
rhunt

Post by rhunt »

squeezindlemmon wrote:Bruisebros Wall bakes in the sun. So does the Solarium.
last time I was there the Solarium went into the shade pretty early(around noon) and stay that way the rest of the day. Does this change in the winter?
"Climbing is the spice, not the meal." ~ Lurkist