Climbing this winter

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
peteypablo

Climbing this winter

Post by peteypablo »

Anyone know any tips to be able to climb in the 30F-40F this winter, i heard hand warmers in chalkbag, but thats about it, maybe some icy hot or something, or just dont go. but we always go when we get lucky and think its going to be warm but freeze our hands off on the cold ass rock.
pablo
GWG

Post by GWG »

I've climbed in the gorge while it was snowing. Had the hand warmers the chalk bag, had socks on so my ankles wouldn't freeze and had additional hand warmers in the pockets of my fleece. For me, the only difficult part of climbing when it was this cold was keeping the feeling in your fingers. Staying warm everywhere else was not that big of a problem.
boulderguy133

Post by boulderguy133 »

ya, i agree with everything that has been said. i also think that it is important to not try to redpoint hard routes at your limit, but instead to try to increase volume and try to onsite a lot of routes that are easier for you. this keeps the blood flowing, 40 isnt even that cold when you're climbing a lot. thats why if i want to work hard stuff, i stick to bouldering in the winter, there is significantly less time in between burns. just my opinion.
merrick

Post by merrick »

two thermoses. one with a hot beverge(hot chocolate, tea, coffee). one with hot soup. handwarmes in chalk bag. a big puffy jacket. always warm up and rest in the sun.

use windmilling of the arms to get and keep blood in them and jumping jacks in the down coat to get the core heat going.

never rest long enough to cool off and just keep it going. once you are climbing you are generally pretty set.

you can put your hands on the back of your neck to warm them up, between moves. kinda like a quick shake. that helps too.
Back from the Dead!
Wes

Post by Wes »

If you are sport climbing, get a little bit later start, warm up on a juggy route so you can warm you hands while climbing, and get several pitches in pretty quickly. Good for training, as you don't spend much time resting. Pick routes the get good sun. Winter is my favorite time to climb, no doubt.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
kafish2

Post by kafish2 »

I like clapping my hands really hard for about ten minutes... seriously. It gets rid of the numbness in the fingers, although it is painful, and you will totally have nice warm tips for the climb. It also warms the back and arms up.
mcrib

Post by mcrib »

What up Kafish2. You know there is a band called Clap your hands say yea. They should be your heros.
"I just want to disappear"
longlegsrule

Post by longlegsrule »

From Kentucky ;o)
pigsteak

Post by pigsteak »

grow some bigger gonads and quit whining..that is the best recipe.
Positive vibes brah...positive vibes.
ynot

Post by ynot »

Whatsa matter piggy? The cat piss on your draws?
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney