Chopping Bolts

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
ABACUS

Chopping Bolts

Post by ABACUS »

Whats the best way to do this? are you actually cutting them? dont worry i am not doing this at the RED. just curious about making the process easier for myself.
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

Do it on lead.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley
Toy

Post by Toy »

while clipped into the one you're choppin', right squeeze

Post by Guest »

squeezindlemmon wrote:Do it on lead.
and with one of these

Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

If they are hex bolts simply unscrew. For stud type bolts you can remove the nut and hanger and hammer the stud in provided the hole is deep enough. What I do for stud bolts is tighten them until they break. If you have spinners they you may need to literally chop them using a chisel.
So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing-- Zep
haas

Post by haas »

If you're replacing old bolts, follow Sunshine's advice, but if it's a personal statement about sending the route on gear instead of bolts, try to simply unscrew the bolt if it's a hex and just take the hanger. If anyone truely wants to replace it, they can just pay for another hanger but use the same bolt. Your message still comes across loud and clear, but is less destructive to the rock if you engage in a bolting/chopping war.

Post by Guest »

I hope you're chopping Eureka. That would be original!!
lordjim_2001

Post by lordjim_2001 »

_______________ wrote:I got ethics man, I chop on lead.
Since I can't remember, can someone with a better memory fill in that blank.
Screw you guys. I'm going bowling.
haas

Post by haas »

I chop bolts on lead, but I didn't write that quote. Oh and my earlier post about only taking the hanger - yeah that doesn't apply to retrobolted routes. Chop those f'ers
J-Rock

Post by J-Rock »

I've removed them with a crowbar and hammer before, but it left quite a mark on the rock. Sometimes you can get behind it with a claw hammer and simultaneously unscrew the bolt with a wrench (similar to removed spinning holds at a climbing gym).
"Those iron spikes you use have shortened the life expectancy of the Totem Pole by 50,000 years."

--A Navaho elder