FS ROAD 9 CURRENT STATUS

Access, Rehab Projects, Derbyfests and more...
CincySam

Post by CincySam »

I looked at the map again and there are definately some little roads that run down through the area from the North. Who knows where they go, but they're FS roads I believe.

A few years ago, I was at Dip Wall climbing, and this big dog (probably belonging to a farmer or something) ran down from the top of the cliff and hung out with us. He sort of scrambled down the side somewhere, so there definately is a scramble down from the top of Dip as well.

Who knows, if you hunt up around there, you might even find some new crags. :)
ynot

Post by ynot »

Theres a service road to the tower above Purple Valley but I dont know where it starts.Its off the map. Theres also a logging road above Muscle beach but we couldnt find the begining of it. We did look for it.
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney
Green3

Post by Green3 »

Does walking to the top of Purple Valley and rapping down make the approach any quicker? As of right now the hike is something like 5 miles, isn't it?
Glenrider

Post by Glenrider »

[i]Semper Exploro[/i]
www.redriversaga.com
Glenrider

Post by Glenrider »

Contacted USFS Stanton District today.

Status remains unchanged at this point in the year. No plans to repair or temporarily fix Forest Service Road 9 are on the table for the remainder of this year. Next year in question.

Report holds firm:

http://redriversaga.topcities.com/recon.html
[i]Semper Exploro[/i]
www.redriversaga.com
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Awesome! It should never reopen.

TO get to the road that comes out on top of Purple Valley take 77 until it tees into 460. Drive a mile or so and turn left onto 3338 or 3339. After a short drive the road forks, go right. YOu'll pass through a nice neighborhood where people have awesome rock, pinnacles and great views in their back yards. Not sure of the access at the end of the road though. YOU should find that tower that you can see from down in the valley.

YOu could also approach from hwy 713 from the north, but its all private land and would be long trailless approaches anyway.

Or bike in.
There is no TEAM in I
Glenrider

Post by Glenrider »

Spoke Face to Face with Both Recreation Director Lee Breth and Ranger Jim Twaroski on September 19th at the Stanton District Ranger Station.

Many factors will inhibit the repair of FS Road 9. Times being what they are -- Money is short, the Morehead and Stanton Districts are merging, Funds can possibly be drained further by this year's Hurricane activity in the Gulf.

Also examined the current condition of the damage on FS Road 9 first hand. No new photos were necessary as the area still appears much as it is presently displayed here ... Report holds firm:

http://redriversaga.topcities.com/recon.html
[i]Semper Exploro[/i]
www.redriversaga.com
Ascentionist

Post by Ascentionist »

Cool, it should stay closed.
There is no TEAM in I
Wes

Post by Wes »

Where are all the hunters going to go now? Hopefully not to the rest of the red. 9a/b was like a war zone during deer season...

So, this means someone really needs to work out the approch from the top now?
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
ynot

Post by ynot »

I have some ideas on that, Wes.I just wont be doing any hiking soon. It has to be a long drive around to get to the top of Purple
"Everyone should have a plan for the zombie apocolipse" Courtney