Hueco or Bishop

Other Crags, Aid Climbing, Bouldering, etc...

Hueco or Bishop

Poll ended at Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:12 pm

Hueco
33%
Bishop
67%

Total votes: 21

longlegsrule

Hueco or Bishop

Post by longlegsrule »

for Christmas break from Dec 27th-Jan 8th

friends at both

cheaper by far to fly to Bishop

please only vote if you've been to both and can judge...and state reason below...
From Kentucky ;o)
Wes

Post by Wes »

Better get reservations now for Hueco....

Hueco = better problems. Bishop = better "scene"

Bishop also has more easy problems.
"There is no secret ingredient"

Po, the kung fu panda
merrick

Post by merrick »

I have lived at both areas for extended periods of time(multiple months). Your asking a tricky question.

In my opinion I would say Bishop for the given dates.

This is why, Hueco is likely to have better weather and I personally prefer the bouldering style there. However, Hueco will be very crowded during that time period. You will be dealing with reservations and over crowding. If you schedule changes and you want to climb on a day you don't have a reservation you are going to have to try to beat everyone else to the office, which if you stay at robs is pratically impossible. The alternative is to pay a guide. It is just a hassle to climb there during the busy periods.

February is a great Hueco month. The weather is near perfect for bouldering and there are no crowds.

Bishop has erratic weather around Christmas and storms are not uncommon. However the weather can be great too. It is rare for the Happy's and Sad's to get snow, though it is possible to get snowed out of the milks and other higher areas.
It can be cold as well.

However, Bishop can handle the crowds with ease. Camping is virtually free, the climbing is free, and the living is really good. The pit is as fun as Robs. Overall Bishop is much cheaper than Hueco.

The variety of styles of climbing can make up for the slight difference in quality between the two areas. If you haven't spent a lot of time in Bishop ask around to find the best problems and they are on par with Hueco.

The town of Bishop is much cooler than El Paso. El Paso is a sh#thole in my opinon. Bishop, a town of 3,000, literally has more coffee shops than all of El Paso. The surrounding area of Bishop is much more beautiful as well, especially with snow on Mt. Tom.

Anyway, i could probably ramble on but that should give you my two cents.
Back from the Dead!
Gaar

Post by Gaar »

Hueco=Polished Rock and some texture

Bishop=Texture...............Good climbing
"climb, fall, send, go home"
MiaRock

Post by MiaRock »

I have a similar dilemma, I have a friend moving to Hueco (he's a guide) and my brother lives in Mammoth (near Bishop). I loved Bishop because of all the easier problems, and felt Hueco was a bit too hard for me but that was a few years ago so I think I might give Hueco another chance. However I have some others putting ideas of Rocktown in my head...spragwa... :wink:
excellent point mia....you are correct. ~ Pigsteak
Spragwa

Post by Spragwa »

Rocktown Mia...Rocktown...New Year's eve...all the kewl kids will be there. Come to Rocktown.
Jesus only knows that she tries too hard. She's only trying to keep the sky from falling.

-Everlast
longlegsrule

Post by longlegsrule »

I have yet to go to Hueco...but I lived in Bishop for 3 wks...in a tent in Sept

there just something about the whole 'having to sign up' thing that just doesn't interest me in Hueco for that time of year...if I had a month to live there...and could be less picky about which days I wanted to climb it would be one thing...just wondered if it was 'that much better' than Bishop

tickets to TX are friggin' expensive...but we would have to rent a car in Reno and drive to Bishop...I'm hoping (with gas then) it will be a lot cheaper to rent a car...plus we may have a warm place to sleep some nights if we go to Bishop...the whole cold thing isn't really good for me...health wise

Mia you are more than welcome to try and travel with us whichever we end up doing...

and...I friggin' love the library and Kava for days off in Bishop...and eating at the Bishop Grill for breakfast...and sitting in the foyer to the Galen Rowell Gallery playing Boggle...sigh...why didn't I move there when I had the chance... :(
From Kentucky ;o)
usccabum1985

Post by usccabum1985 »

sorry only been to Bishop, my say dosn't mean shit
Kali Mist grows into tall, running, classically sativa plants with very few leaves. This strain produces dense clusters of full fluffy buds, producing much higher yields than you would expect.
ABACUS

Post by ABACUS »

Bishop just gives you more options.. the gorge is great. The bouldering really doesnt compare i think to Hueco though. Buttermilks are easily one of the most overrated boulders I have seen. nice setting though..
no hot springs in Hueco.