Bad Hybrid at Muir Valley: hold bolted on?!

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
J-Rock

Post by J-Rock »

Uh oh! :shock: Next time I am over there that hold is coming down! Ha ha ha... :twisted: By the way, I still have a few more flavors of rat stew to try. The garlic was tasty and so was the barbecued wood rat. Now I'm thinking about maybe having sweet and sour wood rat. :D
"Those iron spikes you use have shortened the life expectancy of the Totem Pole by 50,000 years."

--A Navaho elder
Lateralus

Post by Lateralus »

Meh, big deal. A 5.6 that would have been done a lot now will likely never be done with the 5.10-11 move. There is so much good rock in the gorge that I don't think a widespread hold bolt on frenzy will start because someone did this on 1 route. I really don't have a problem doing this if the route is 5.whatever for the entire route except for one section which is way way harder.
"Good things take time, impossible things take a little longer"
Percy Gerutty
Stewy911

Post by Stewy911 »

dude the point is that there is bolted rock on rock. its absolutely absurd dude and yes this could possibly start a trend but you never know. the move can be done without it. there are a ton of good routes in muir that are one move wonders so i guess your saying that you should add a hold on them as well to keep the grade consistent. BULLHONKEY!!!
Who Me? I gotta hitch hike god damn 18 miles to get a god damn beer......that's bullshit.
meetVA

Post by meetVA »

To a certain extent one could argue that the bolts shouldn't be there either. I mean, if you are meant to get a rest, then finish the climb, top out and rap down, don't hang.
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
- Robert McCloskey

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
- Emo Philips
mcrib

Post by mcrib »

I don't think this one hold should shake the foundations of sport climbing.
"I just want to disappear"
Sco Bro

Re: Bad Hybrid at Muir Valley: hold bolted on?!

Post by Sco Bro »

Squeeze, I agree with you that it's not my decision, it's not my land. I never said it was:
Sco Bro wrote:Someone bolted a piece of rock onto the climb to make it 5.6. I'm interested to see everyone's opinion. I think it's a poor, poor choice.

In my humble opinion (I don't bolt routes, I don't own the land), I think a climb should be left as is, as much as possible.
It is ultimately the landowner's decision. I wanted to know what others thought about the practice, hence the post.
Huggybone

Post by Huggybone »

My thought when I cam upon it: Gee, how odd. I'll bet the idea was to get people to flame.
"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."
Saxman

Post by Saxman »

It is a good thing I don't own my own crag. I would pull all kinds of silly shenanigans. When it's your land, anything goes. Take one section of cliff, enclose it in steel and class, and condition the air. Year round 65 degree dry rock with no insects or sunburn.
The theory of evolution is just as stupid as the theories of gravity and electromagnetism.
Zspider

Post by Zspider »

Wes wrote: The number one sin, though, is altering the route after the FA.
And even that isn't anything anybody except a climber is going to get excited about.

And as mentioned, if the rock is private property, whatever the owner wants to do with it is pretty much his own damn business. He can spray paint it blue or chisel a staircase in it if he wants.

ZSpider