Rumney, NH

Gaston? High Step? Drop Knee? Talk in here.
NEOD

Rumney, NH

Post by NEOD »

Anyone around here ever been on up to Rumney? Is it any good? Compare it if you could in any way that seems appropriate and relevant to the Red. I'm considering the trip, and I'm curious what everyone thinks. Thanks
mcrib

Post by mcrib »

It is really good and a really beautiful part of the country. It rained alot while I was there and I was not in very good shape but I still enjoyed myself. It is quite crowded though. On the weekends I think people flock from all over the northeast and waiting in line was pretty common (so to was cutting in line). There are also a few good bouldering areas near by if your into that. Overall it was a good experience.
"I just want to disappear"
squeezindlemmon

Post by squeezindlemmon »

I can't really compare it to the Red, but it's so nice out there that J-Rock and I have bumped NH to the top 5 places we'll eventually move to. The climbing at Rumney is superb, the length of the routes vary so much. The quality of the rock is really good and like mcrib said, there's also a really nice bouldering area close by (the pound). Multipitch climbing at White Horse and Cathedral is a short (and beautiful) drive away.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our mind. ~Bob Marley
haas

Post by haas »

It's one of my favorite sport areas in the country. Beautiful rock with great friction and a cool woodsy setting. Comparing it to the Red, some comparable routes would be some technical ones like the vert stuff at Sky Bridge - Soul Ram, etc. The routes are more crimpy/technical and less overhanging Jug Hauls. I love that place.
roots

Rumney

Post by roots »

NEOD,
I think the only thing comparable between the Red and Rumney is that they both have a high concentration of sport routes. Overall I would say that I prefer the Red, but Rumney does have quality sport climbing. As the others have said, Rumney is more technical and the features/texture of the rock are completely different. Mcrib and I got on sport climb that had full-on fingerlocks and pretty much nothing else, very unique to say the least. If you do go, you must see or climb at Waimea Wall...the most beautiful sport wall I've seen. Also like squeeze said go to North Conway(Cathedral&WhiteHorse) there is an overwhelming amount of rock in the general vicinity, but bring the trad gear. I think they call N.H. the granite state for a reason. cheers.
JAY~BO
4:20
merrick

Post by merrick »

rumney is a sweet area. It has a good variety of climbs over a large difficulty range, with some really high quality easy routes. However it is top heavy having many many 5.13s. i would say that the money grade in the red is 5.12 and money grade at rumney is 5.13.

the friction is completely awesome and there are lots of little edges that just beg to be grabbed. as others have said Waimea is just incredible to see.

It is much smaller than the red and the climbs have a tendency to be spread out. for us at least there was a bunch of scrambling up and down trails to check out little areas.

definately worth a visit
Back from the Dead!
enlighten_me

Post by enlighten_me »

It's worth visiting Rumney for the variety. I like the Waimea and Bonsai crags. The curvy feature of the rocks in Waimea are almost as jaw dropping to see as the Lode.
jessica

Post by jessica »

rumney is a great place to sport climb - i wouldn't compare it to the red, though. if you're going to visit this year, you're running out of time. I went there after columbus day and it was cooooold. beautiful when the leaves are turning colour, but too cold to climb in the shade...